[wp-hackers] Re: Changing MySQL minimum version

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Dec 1 08:51:57 GMT 2006

David Chait wrote:
> Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of new (to MySQL, not to the rest
> of the SQL world...), higher-performing features like sub-queries, that
> can take load off BOTH the php box and the sql box?

You seem to assume that sub-queries are a performance panacea, when thus
far I've only noticed them brought up in the context of doing complex
category exclusion queries, which I would say is definitely a minority
of a traffic most blogs do.

I think there is more performance benefit to be had by taking more out
of the DB, rather than putting more pressure on it. If you want to make
things crazy-fast, eliminate all ORDER BY clauses, and WHERE statements
that aren't on primary keys, stick it all in memcache, and then sort and
select everything using multi-diminsional arrays in memory. *cough*

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com