[wp-hackers] Patch to allow nested comments

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Mon Aug 28 05:35:14 GMT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Sean Hickey wrote:

> If the comments table already has a parent ID, then maybe the devs
> have
> something up their sleeves, or they put it in there "just in case".

It's there so there is a standard way of marking comment
relationships.  That way, if one "threaded comments" plugin falls
into disrepair, you can just use another one, and your comment
relationships will need no conversion.  I seriously doubt there are
any plans on putting it into core.

Much in the same way, there is also a post_comment_filtered column in
the posts table.  WP has never used it, but it can (and has) been
used by plugin authors to store rendered versions of post content
(after the curly quotes and paragraphing and whatever filters you
have running on the_content... same way TextPattern stores both raw
and textile2-processed text).

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/