[wp-hackers] So, this whole .htaccess thing...

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 23:12:48 GMT 2006

On 8/26/06, Charles <lists06 at wiltgen.net> wrote:
> > (1) WP does the best it can to support IIS with permalinks, The rest is IIS's fault.
>
> If it's IIS's fault that it's not Apache, then yeah, it's IIS's fault.

I thought this had been said enough, but I guess not. WP does not need
rewriting to do its permalinks. WP does not need rewriting to do its
fine (thus, WP with pretty permalinks can work fine in lighttpd as
well).

Setting wp's index.php as a 404 handler in IIS should work. If it
doesn't, I may have just stumbled across a one-line patch to fix the
solution (setting $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']
under IIS (line 34 in wp-settings.php should do it). If this doesn't
work, then what can we do? Tell people to install a 3rd-party rewriter
just for IIS and then write 20 scripts to output 20 different formats
for IIS. Everyone's time would be better spent working on new
features.

> > (3) Plugins don't have to :)
>
> Why do they, then?  (Example: WP FeedBurner)

Ask the author. Also a possible lack of proper documentation (also
something I may have to volunteer to do).

--
--Robert Deaton