[wp-hackers] So, this whole .htaccess thing...

Charles lists06 at wiltgen.net
Sat Aug 26 20:41:22 GMT 2006

> It would be helpful if you offered an alternative solution.  [...]
> It doesn't seem fair to blame WordPress for using the file, with a
> "how dare you!" air...

Ha!  You can tell I'm in "how dare you!" mode when I use the <armsAkimbo>
tag.   :O)

Seriously, the solution I offered yesterday was to implement a router that
handled all requests, then constraining the use of .htaccess to route all
requests to that router.  The .htaccess file in this case might look like
this:

	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php

I noticed that you're using CakePHP, and CakePHP (like most frameworks)
works the way I'm describing -- minimal .htaccess changes plus a router to
handle requests.  IMHO, using .htaccess for more than minimal server
configuration is a practice that should be avoided if possible.

I believe that replacing the use of .htaccess with a flexible, extensible
router would (1) make WordPress more portable (to IIS, for example), (2)
make WordPress easier to use (I learned quickly that one mistake in an
.htaccess file can take down your site, or worse, create unexpected and
hard-to-debug results), and (3) make WordPress more reliable (if plug-ins
didn't have to mess with plaintext files to extend/enhance routing).

This is my last post on this particular topic.  I mostly just wanted to put
the thought into people's heads for now.

-- Charles

P.S.  Great plug-ins and cheat sheet, Sean!