[wp-hackers] So, this whole .htaccess thing...

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Aug 26 18:30:22 GMT 2006

Charles wrote:
>> I'm not sure why you had to make manual edits...
>
> For all of the reasons I mentioned in my post.  There's no FeedBurner
> plug-in that supports the recommended "temporary redirect" method (in which
> you /don't/ move or redirect your feed URL), required if you want people to
> continue to subscribe to and use site.com/feed/.  I just learned about a
> plug-in that can handle future post slug renaming, but there's none I can
> find that gives me a nice UI to map any URL to any other URLs (necessary to
> map all of those old Movable Type URLs to WordPress).

Perhaps someone will write such a plugin.

> There's apparently no
> way around editing .htaccess if you want to put WordPress in a folder other
> than /wordpress.

Huh?  I never put WP in /wordpress and never have to do anything to
htaccess.

> I think the problem should be obvious, at least to anyone who doesn't make
> money solving these kinds of issues.  You have users and WordPress (and
> WordPress plug-ins, from what I've just heard) all fighting over the same
> Apache-specific plaintext file to do even the most basic stuff.

We have a rewrite API that plugins can use that avoids requiring
modification of htaccess.   That API can certainly be improved if it
doesn't provide something a plugin needs to get the job done.

Ryan