[wp-hackers] Credit Links

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Aug 14 21:47:26 GMT 2006

Brian Layman wrote:
> I also suspect that it is easy enough to "legally" get around that
> limitation.  Someone could simply remove the notices, as they like, call it
> a derivitive product by putting a "NoCRNotice is based phpNuke Copyright
> blah blah blah" line in a readme file and send an email with a link to the
> source out to phpnuke.org.  At that point, they could even distribute it.

I have no interest in the legalities of it, or even trying to enforce
any restrictions that might be in place. At the end of the day people
will do what they want to do, and I'm fine with that! I really believe
in the core of Free software, people should be able to do whatever they
want with it.

I just wanted to remind folks who DO care about WordPress to not forget
and to encourage others. It's a social thing, a karma thing, not a legal
thing.

People find WordPress pretty much solely through the credit links, it's
how it has spread virally thus far. When some of the biggest blogs out
there, like Gigaom.com, Techcrunch.com, and the NY Times blogs forget or
remove the link, it's that much harder for the WP word to get out there.

I'm sure the people running each of those would have no problem with a
WordPress link somewhere on the page, but we all know at the end of the
day it's someone on this list who does the actual work. :)

(Also if one of the biggest sites on the web, About.com, can do it, why
can't anyone else? Kudos to those folks, btw.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com