[wp-hackers] New Default Theme For 2.1

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 03:54:58 GMT 2006

On 8/7/06, Charles <lists06 at wiltgen.net> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> You're pushing minimalist styles with zero-to-one options.  That may be fine for you, but most users aren't like you.  They don't have the CSS + XHTML + PHP skills to customize "themes for themers" like Sandbox, and /that's/ what causes support nightmares.
>
> > To mess with 1 vs 2 vs 3+ column layouts that involves more PHP.
>
> No, this can all be done reliably with CSS.  A "theme for users" will have more PHP than a "theme for themers", but the point is that the users who wouldn't understand it will never see it, and anyone who knows PHP will be fine with it.

You can't make XHTML appear magically with CSS. And for the latter
bit, reread my last few e-mails. They clearly say that yes, this kind
of customization has its place and its time, but not in the core,
because anything distributed with the core is assumed to be supported,
and when a user can't do what they need to do with an admin panel,
they have to dive into the PHP mess of a theme.

> We can agree to disagree, but please stop slagging non-minimalist themes.

I clearly said they had their place and time. Because I don't think
they should go in the core doesn't mean I don't think its a great
idea. Hundreds of plugins are great ideas, but their place isn't in
the core either.

--
--Robert Deaton