[wp-hackers] New Default Theme For 2.1 (sandbox)

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Aug 7 20:06:56 GMT 2006

Dougal Campbell wrote:
> I just downloaded Sandbox earlier today, and it already comes with a
> predefined Kubrick look-alike skin.
>
> I fully understand Ryan's comment about not trying to squeeze a new
> default theme into WP 2.1. But I would definitely be in favor of basing
> a future default theme on Sandbox, with some pre-prettified skins
> bundled in.

Bing.

Structually, I think Sandbox needs a little more burn-in, but it has the
potential to provide a very stable and learnable structure for CSS
artists post-2.1. I think the Kubrick "skin" for sandbox is a pretty
cool demonstration. We should all take a look at it and try to break it,
and work together with Scott and Andy to make it as robust as possible.

I would suggest anyone developing a new theme try to build it on top of
Sandbox. If it doesn't work, share why.

Visually, a new default could provide some nice spice for new users.
It's not really worth discussing the aesthetics of it because we'll
never all agree, it's just going to be something I'll make a call on.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com