[wp-hackers] Rethinking check_admin_referer()

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Apr 22 11:58:03 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:

> Like I said before, people with access to your blog should be "trusted
> users" as someone said earlier. If you can't trust the users on your
> blog, you have bigger issues at hand.

Insider attacks still account for a large portion of successful and
sometimes undetected cracks. Privileges are important. Authors I trust
to write their own articles and submit drafts should not be trusted to
publish drafts. Editors I trust to edit and approve articles shouldn't
be trusted to edit the blog's theme.

Security professionals gave up on the idea of trusting everyone on a
system so many decades ago I don't even remember when. Different users
have different levels of trust. The system should not enable a user to
escalate their privileges unilaterally.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu