[wp-hackers] List etiquette

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Apr 21 09:09:31 GMT 2006

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Yes, but the main responsibility of developers is not to Elliotte
> Harold. Your selfish interests do not coincide with the WP community.

My "selfish" interest is in seeing that no one can randomly delete posts
from my blog. I suspect that interest is shared by the vast majority of
the WordPress community. I'm shocked that you don't seem to agree with
that.

And I suppose it's quite selfish to take the time to figure out what's
going on, summarize it, and tell everyone about it. Obviously I should
have generously kept all the info to myself.

> I also missed your patch on Trac.

I learned a long time ago that it's pointless to submit patches to open
source projects unless the developers have expressed a prior commitment
to accepting them. Sometimes when developers are hellbent on driving 90
miles per hour down the wrong road, you have to wait until they crash
before they're willing to consider changing course.

The first two actions to be taken here are obvious and not especially
difficult. (1. Warn the user base not to follow 3rd party links from the
wp-admin page. 2.  Stop misusing GET.) Instead, the community seems
focused on complex fixes for other problems that are still vulnerable.

> Publishing line-by-line exploits or details about security
> vulnerabilities when we do a release would help crackers far more than
> our general user base, which is overwhelmingly non-technical. We get
> flak about it, but frankly I care far more about our non-savvy and more
> vulnerable users than security-blinded idealists.

If you actually did a release this would be fine. You haven't. The bug
exists. It's out there, and there's no fix available, nor does one seem
to be likely in the future. Sending private e-mail to
security at project.org is fine for projects that recognize, respond to,
and expeditiously fix security holes. However if projects are not
prepared to treat security seriously, then the information needs to be
made public so users can take actions to protect themselves when vendors
can't or won't. This applies whether the project is open or closed
source. The only difference is it's usually a little easier for third
parties to patch open source security bugs.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu