[wp-hackers] Category Hierarchies

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Sep 21 01:35:57 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:

> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>
>> Owen Winkler wrote:
>>
>>> There are two options for fixing as I see it.   Either the category
>>> adding code should enforce the creation of unique category slugs OR
>>> the the rewriter should select a category based on the entire
>>> category string specified and not just the last subcat in the
>>> string.  I prefer the latter option, but it requires more
>>> complicated changes.
>>

>> I would prefer the latter as well.
>

> We need to do the same for pages.
>
> Ryan

Call me crazy, but there is one feature of the former behavior that I
like... you can MOVE a category without its permalinks breaking.  And if
you're using Scott Yang's permalink redirect plugin, it'll give a
redirect to the new location!  I moved my WordPress category from
/category/internet/wordpress/ to /category/wordpress/ and the old links
still work.

Still, that probably doesn't outweigh the benefit of being able to have
/category/sports/people/ and /category/movies/people/ or something.
Ugh, that's going to be a bear to write... although at least we don't
have to do mod_rewrite rules as well. :-)

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/