[wp-hackers] phpsuexec and .htaccess

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Sep 12 15:15:41 GMT 2005

Stefano wrote:
>>Does anyone at all have WP running under phpsuexec and it DOES write to
>>the .htaccess ?
>
> I do, my hosting provider use suexec but i can have .htaccess in
> directories and have it rewrited by WP. Suexec doens't means you can't
> have .htaccess usually it's used to grant privileges enough to script
> to work without needing to change the dir permission through CHMOD.
>
> The problems are often related to scripts that check a dir to see if
> it's writable or set special chmod that with suexec get error even if
> write is possibile or chmod is ignore cause unecessary.

My apologies for not following this up last night.
WP was asking the apache server "Are you apache ?"
Bliksem has that apache server set up to say "No."
So WP thought it was on IIS.
Bliksem. Lacking.

Kudos to Matt for digging around, establishing the problem and then
fixing the WP code to work around the problem.

P.