[wp-hackers] pinging improvements

Michel Valdrighi michelv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 20:13:28 GMT 2005

On 9/1/05, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> The concern with pinging stems from the fact that my blog gets bogged
> down as it tries to connect to all the different links in my post to let
> them know that I linked to them.
>
> But my blog is also contacting Ping-O-Matic to let them know that I've
> updated, so they can update all the various sites that care.
>
> Can we perhaps combine the two?  Can I ping PoM, and send along a list
> of the links in my post, so that PoM can ping those sites on my behalf?

That could be done with Pingback, at least.
One advantage of doing pingbacks with pingomatic is that it could try
to remember just which sites do not have a pingback server, so as to
avoid pinging them. That could be done in WP itself, but think of the
resources saved "worldwide" if it was from a single location...

--
Michel Valdrighi
Devéloppeur Web Intraordinaire