[wp-hackers] Google Web Accelerator

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Tue Oct 25 20:04:21 GMT 2005

> specification, the GET method is defined as a Safe Method
> which "SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
> other than retrieval."

maybe the spec writers smoke pot? I mean... I can name no site that tracks
visitors using the POST method. and many sites, such as amazon, change the
returned content based on past user interactions... talk about a carnage if
google preloads every possible GET request with fancy urls around. there
would be no more machine learning except on evil google's servers, heh.

> the question of whether we should actually comply with HTTP
> 1.1 in this manner, and if os, how would we go about doing it?

one way to comply without loosing the -- at times -- elegance of GET is to
redirect using a GET request once the POST occurred successfully. This
allows the user to click the back button as he normally would, at times
where the bulkiness of a POST request gives the impression of being
irrelevant (e.g. after switching themes). I recall WP does this already at
some places, too.

D.