[wp-hackers] Adoption of OpenID

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sun Oct 23 18:28:04 GMT 2005

Jason S wrote:
> * NO MORE REGISTRATIONS!

The vast majority of WordPress blogs I've seen don't require
registration to comment, so I don't see this as that big of a deal.

> I would REALLY like to see this more widely adopted.

I think we should sit this one out and let OpenID, Ping Identity,
Identity Commons, Sxip, Passport, Yahoo user API, and LID duke it out
for a little while. OpenID addresses a problem that is academically
interesting, and I mostly like the implementation, but it's not
something people have been saying is something they have to deal with.

I'm happy to continue expanding our plugin API to allow plugin authors
to experiment with these different systems, but I think it's too early
to make a commitment to any of them in the core, as it's a rapidly
evolving space.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com