[wp-hackers] XHTML Strict compliant replacement for target=_new

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:00:59 GMT 2005

On 10/20/05, Geoffrey Lane <geoff at zorched.net> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list and new to WordPress (just got it yesterday, and
> I think it's great so far).
>
> One issue I had with adding sidebar links was the target=_new not being
> compliant with XHTML Strict. There's an easy way to emulate that
> behavior with an onclick event:
>
> onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;"

Firstly I think the whole target=_new thing is a pain to begin with,
if I want to open a link in a new window I'll middle click on it thank
you very much and if the damned link uses Javascript and the middle
click fails then more often then not I just won't follow the link.

For this reason along with not wanting Javascript to be a requirement
just for a visitor to click a link then I don't think this is a good
solution so my vote goes for either scrapping the target=_new all
together or if it must stay then implementing the alternative
rel="external" solution posted in a later post.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster at kde.org