[wp-hackers] Zombies aimed at WordPress

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:04:17 GMT 2005

On 10/13/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
> _____/ On Thu 13 Oct 2005 14:24:18 BST, [Jason Bainbridge] wrote : \_____
>
> > On 10/13/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
> >> * Bad Behaviour - needs access to server (pointed out here)
> >
> > Uhm no it doesn't and hence why several times you've been recommended
> > to install it:
> >
> > http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/in...
> >
> > Well unless you call FTP'ng the plugin files "Access to the server"
> > but if you don't have FTP well no comment...
>

> Oh, sorry...! My misinterpretation. The only glaring pitfall is that it covers
> WordPress only, which probably occupies around 10% of my site's content. There
> is indeed an advantage to using a single, uniformal CMS across the entire site
> as opposed to a diversity. It decreases the amount of work associated with
> critical updates and it saves some learning curve, complements integration and
> so forth. Then again, what would you do when features "in the wild" do not
> overlap sufficiently? For example, image galleries using WordPress, Wiki
> intergation with/encapsulation in WordPress, Forums and blog software...

Huh? First you make a big political speech about zombies targetting
Wordpress sites only and then a solution to address problems with
Wordpress isn't adequate as Wordpress is only used for 10% of your
site, so which is it?

FYI Bad Behavior also runs with Drupal, MediaWiki, Geeklog and
DotClear out of the box with logging and you can use it on any other
PHP script but you lose the logging unless you are knowledgable enough
to port it over:

http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/installing-and-using-bad-behavior/

Personally I only use Spam Karma 2 at the moment as I only get the
ocassional bot trying to post comments and SK2 takes care of that just
fine.

Also I saw you mentioned earlier that you were generating AWStats
during the day (well US time at least), you probably don't want to do
that as that would upset your host more than what the attacks would as
it takes quite a bit of grunt to process those stats.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster at kde.org