[wp-hackers] Cheap webhosts (was: Re: Referrer Spam)

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Wed Oct 12 09:37:28 GMT 2005

_____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 08:32:04 BST, [Martin Geisler] wrote : \_____

> Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 10/11/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Not my host *frown*. Consider yourself to be fortunate if you are
>>> allowed SSH/Telnet access. The best I can ever do when wishing to
>>> invoke commands is use tricks <
>>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/
>>
>> Uhm may I suggest that you consider switching hosts? SSH is kind of
>> standard these days, I certainly won't consider a host unless they
>> provide SSH access, [...]
>
> It's the same in Denmark where I come from: most cheap webhosts also
> don't want to give you SSH access. :-(  So for me it was a big luxus
> when I got it for my site with a US host.

I know what you mean when you say "cheap webhosts", but then again,
most shared
hosting is rather cheap. The hosts otherwise get no customers (that gradually
expand) and therefore fail to survive. Try to compete with Hosting for a Buck,
for instance.

I often imagine that ownership (e.g. dedicated server) warrants SSH access. I
also imagine that the hosts don't want people to use their server as
computational hosts. I got told off for doing it in some local clusters at
daytime due to temptation.

> If you have PHP you might find my PHP Shell script useful for simple
> things: http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/.  It's very simple, using just
> the standard proc_open() command in PHP.

Thanks, Martin. I'll have a look.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
10:25am  up 47 days 22:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.51, 0.39