[wp-hackers] new: WordPress Validator plug-in

Dan Sandler dsandler at dsandler.org
Mon Nov 21 22:51:56 GMT 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 6:04 PM, Phil Ringnalda wrote:

> Were it me, I would have said something more like "new release of
> the plugin we told you about back in August, which now adds foo and
> bar..."

Sorry about that.  The project's changed hands a couple of times
(sometimes unavoidable with student projects), so I'm not sure
everyone knew about previous announcements made to this list.

> Absolutely. The plugin could just as easily be called "Turn
> Trackback into Pingback" (as Matt noted when they first announced
> it). [...] You are of course free to ignore any ping that doesn't
> link to you, just like you are free to ignore any ping that
> includes the word "pink" and any ping that doesn't include "blue,"
> but it's very much open to false positives.

This is absolutely true.  Here's my take on why this is still
useful:  The common case of Trackbacks is blogs linking to other
blogs, where this additional reciprocal-link constraint seems
reasonable.  (These same blogs are also the common-case target of
Trackback spam.)  If this model doesn't match the way you use
Trackback, this plugin probably isn't something you want to install.

---dan, previous owner of the Validator project :)