[wp-hackers] Import menu

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Nov 19 04:40:02 GMT 2005

_____/ On Fri 18 Nov 2005 19:46:38 GMT, [Austin Matzko] wrote : \_____

> On 11/18/05, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yep. It's not used much, it shouldn't have top-level priority.
>
> I see Matt axed someone's suggestion that the importer be moved on
> this ticket ( http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1884 ), but do you
> think he'd be open to just moving it under the Manage tab?

I think it was previously suggested that it should appear at different lo-
cations  depending  on  the  stage  of use.  In  most  curcumstances,  the
importer/s  will  be  used once, at the start. Subsequently,  this  option
would just consume screen space, unnecessarily so.

I  can't  remember the previous thread on that topic quite so  well.  Yet,
among  the possibilities was making the importers part of the installation
process. On the one hand, you want these to be visible and easily-accessi-
ble  to new users. Then again, in order to avoid clutter, maybe it's worth
putting  it under "Manage" and then, throughout installation, clearly tell
users something along the lines of:

"If  you  already have a blog, the next step to follow might be  'Import',
which  can be found under the menu 'Manage' at the top." (or click  >here<
to import your blog)

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz