[wp-hackers] Usability problems with accesskeys

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Thu Nov 10 22:48:09 GMT 2005

> They [accesskeys] make Web interfaces as productive as native
> desktop software.

I disagree with this statement. Unless I am mistaking, most people who
actually use keyboard short cuts are fluent with computer programming. I
meet highly educated people everyday who have 10+ years of experience using
Word and Excel who have no clue how to copy, cut and paste using the
keyboard.

Also, I personally find using Alt quite unnatural, when compared to Ctrl.
Habit and the (un-)learning curve that comes as a result arguably are one of
the reasons. More importantly however, the Alt key is not as conveniently
located on the keyboard: Ctrl+X, Ctrl+S and Ctrl+Z all get pinky hits; their
Alt+ counterparts do not. Alt+Shift combos do not either.

D.