[wp-hackers] Object Cache API and Persistent Object Caching

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Nov 9 06:16:43 GMT 2005

Owen Winkler wrote:
> Is there likely to be a disk space issue as the cache increases in size?
>  For example, can we assume a certain size cache based on the database
> size if Google crawls the entire site?  And how will that affect admins
> with small-space hosts?  I suppose you could keep the cache off...

Right now we're caching a fairly limited subset of things, so it would
be unlikely that something like Google crawling your site would increase
the disk space at all. Posts and comments will probably always by
primarily in the DB, except maybe for the front page.

(It would also be interesting to have a stats plugin kick a single post
into "cached" mode if it gets a burst of traffic or something. We would
need a garbage cleaner so these sorts of caches wouldn't stick around
forever.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://akismet.com