[wp-hackers] RE: .htaccess cleanup

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun May 22 19:38:04 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 22:00 +0300, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
> I have those rules commented out in my .htaccess, but I haven't put in a
> comment on why I'm not using them.
>
> I did some experimenting now, and the rules work fine except that I never
> get a 404 error for URL's that don't exist.  I just get the "root blog"
> page (i.e. most recent posts).

WP itself should handle issuing a 404.  There was a bug with this in 1.5
where the 404 wasn't always issued properly, but that should be fixed in
1.5.1[.1].  WP will also display the 404 template, if present.  If not,
you will see the regular index.   Well-behaved themes should have a
separate 404 template or handle the is_404() condition in their index.
The default theme has a 404 template.  The Classic theme does not.

Ryan