[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Sun May 22 19:25:40 GMT 2005

Firstly, I think the bug system needs to be stabilized and organized before
any talk of development progress is made. A custom field needs to be added
to the new ticket system in Trac for a "Patch?" boolean. At that point, all
bugs that are assigned and have patches should be immediately committed and
tested for a 1.5.2 release.

After that, a huge effort needs to be put into assigning, prioritizing, and
triaging the bug list[1]. I don't know exactly how many people have
privileges on the bug system, but it seems to be a very small number. I
think the team needs to allow more people to help with triaging and
organizing in Trac. "Bug days" like those over on
irc.mozilla.org<http://irc.mozilla.org>could help this process along
greatly.

Also, I think it would be good to set up a "review" and "super-review"
system whereby contributing developers can get their bugs approved by core
devs and can commit their own changes to the tree. Having only two
developers commit changes makes development slow and disorganized and I
think WordPress needs to look ahead to the future where there is a much
larger developer community behind it. Of course in the meantime it would
still be simpler with only Matt and Ryan committing if they could pull up a
list of all bugs with a patch and r+sr, allowing them to commit and move on
to the test cycle.

After the bug system is worked out, all of these new features in the Version
1.6 wiki entry can be added to Trac and prioritized.

With a stable 1.5.2 release behind us, we can then start to make the larger
changes slated for 1.6. I do think that we should definitely go toward
1.6and maintain backwards-compatibility, however. Software that breaks
b-c too
often and increments major version numbers regularly ends up in a bad
position (v13.0 sucks).

In summary, I think we need organization and a clear set of goals and
development processes before moving ahead to the next release. (Just my four
cents.)

[1] - http://trac.wordpress.org/report/1

--
Brad Fults