[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Terrence Wood tdw at funkive.com
Wed May 18 22:31:48 GMT 2005

Matt, hang out with some real users once and a while. Not everyone on
the net is a tech-savvy early adopter who constantly updates their
software -- the update cycle in the real world is very slow.

I would be wary of making changes of this nature at such an early stage
(viz "...plan to in the future"). Don't break things for (bleeding)
edge cases.

My preferred solution is transform feeds with xslt and provide
additional instruction on how to subscribe on the resulting page rather
than breaking things for 99% of the net... you could have your feed
protocol link on that page if you insist.

Later you make a point later in this thread about the adoption of XHTML
+ CSS as a means to justify early adoption of the feed protocol. The
reality is the uptake on these was pretty slow... defined in the late
90's they only really gained any *real* traction around 5 years after
the fact, and most of us are still working around IE's lousy standards
support.

Terrence Wood.