[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Dave Mussulman mussulma at uiuc.edu
Wed May 18 19:50:59 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

> Dave Mussulman wrote:
>
>> I'm impressed with sites that use XSL with their XML/RSS feeds to
>> display a 'what is this?' page to their users rather than showing them
>> the direct feed.
>

> "I was on the front page and clicked a link and saw... the front page
> again! But uglier."
>
> No one who clicks those links wants to see the XML or even a styled
> version of the XML, unless they're a developer debugging something.
> They want to subscribe to the feed, and we should do what we can to
> make that as easy as possible,

I disagree.  If I want to subscribe with bloglines, or anything that I
copy/paste the feed to somewhere else, the feed: links don't work.  I'm
also against people who _only_ put RSS links in the header <link> tag.
(In that case, I can see there's a feed for the page, but if I click on
the lower right link in Firefox it will do the active bookmark thing and
not give me the feed link.)

I don't think http://feeds.feedburner.com/wwdn looks like "the front
page again, but uglier."  In fact, I like that it has links to
documentation and quicklinks for auto subscribing to the feed.  Or, I
can just copy the link from the address bar whereever my
reader/aggregator uses it and go from there.  I think Feedburner could
use a bit more documentation, but I like that presentation better than a
feed:http:// link.  (Note that the XSL has a "Subscribe now using
feed://" link.)

Dave