[wp-hackers] Forum Help

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Sun May 15 13:14:57 GMT 2005

> Matthew Thomas:
>
> If your site is sufficiently popular, people using Google Web
> Accelerator will decrease your bandwidth use, not increase it. Maybe
> WordPress could block GWA or not depending on how many hits
> your site is
> getting. :-)

I'm not sure, really... With GWA, Google is doing on a global scale what
ISPs are doing everywhere. It's just a poorly programmed proxy bundled with
spyware.

Fact is Google is betting that hosting the proxy in their facilities can
speed things up. From the user's perspective, it might. But from your site's
perspective, odds are strong that it will make no difference.

The real difference will be this: While an ISP is a telco that is usually
committed to keeping all user data secret, Google is committed to target ads
more efficiently.

Then again, I imagine some users will find the google content blocker
useful. :)

http://j-walk.com/other/googlecb/

--
Denis de Bernardy