[wp-hackers] Collecting Pings sent to Front Page

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Mar 14 19:04:37 GMT 2005

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> If someone links my front page from a WordPress entry, won't my front
> page receive a Pingback?  Currently any Pingbacks that don't correspond
> to an entry are discarded, and it doesn't see that there is any
> plugin-only way to change that.  I think it might be cool if I got
> notifications for Pingbacks to my front page, as well as specific
> entries.  Obviously these would need to be stored somewhere as to
> eliminate duplicate notifications.  This might be a good way to
> compliment the "Incoming links" section on the Dashboard.  Thoughts?

pingback_post _would_ the hook to leverage to do this in a plugin.
pingback_post is given the comment ID; but it gets called _after_ the
comment is added to the database.

preprocess_comment is probably where a plugin should get involved to
solve this problem.  It's a filter that gets executed first thing in the
wp_new_comment() function, and is passed the entire comment data array.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35