[wp-hackers] Proposed Dev Planning Process (was Re: WordPress Openness)

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Mon Jun 27 00:37:14 GMT 2005

Hi folks,

The WP openness thread last week lead me to think about the question
"what can non-developers do to influence the dev process?"  It seems to
me the answer is "don't just write emails, write specs".   It's a way
that productive activity can happen without up-front involvement from
the core developers.  Of course, the core devs eventually have to get
involved, but hopefully, only if they want to and/or if the
specification has been properly vetted.

So, I tried documenting both how to create a good spec, and how to
publish it on codex (with much help from Lorelle).  Here's the doc:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Development_Planning

Please take a look at it, and feel free to add links to other specs.
The initial list is by no means complete or even an attempt at
completeness, but rather a starting point.

Thanks
Rob