[wp-hackers] post processing weirdness

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Jun 26 20:53:11 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:

> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 16:48 -0400, Scott Merrill wrote:
>>
>>> So I went to look at get_posts().  Duh -- it accepts a query string
>>> formatted parameter!
>>>
>>> So, are we in fact missing a get_post() function, which accepts the
>>> post ID of a post to fetch?
>>

>> get_post() is in functions.php and accepts either a post ID or a
>> reference to an existing post object.
>

> /me opens mouth and inserts foot.
>
> Thanks.

A few thoughts:

Drafts should not have permalinks.  First, they're drafts, so there's
nothing "perma" about them, just on a conceptual level.  Second, unless
you manually specify a slug, the slug is not created until you publish
the post, and can (and should) be changed by the user.

What should happen, though, is that the permalink is created before the
publish_post action goes out.  This is not always the case, and that's a
bug.