[wp-hackers] Forum Post: Security

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Fri Jun 24 15:33:42 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:
>>>Should we add a page in the install process that forces the users to
>>>choose a unique table prefix?
>>

>>No point getting the user to choose it when a random string can easily
>>be generated. But yes, I think that would be a good idea. It would force
>>plugins to be properly compatible too.
>

> If it's a randomly selected prefix, the support conversations will
> become more complicated.  Let the user choose their own prefix.

I would suggest that we ask for some digits - say 5 - that is then added
to the 'wp' prefix. We can't ask users to choose a prefix in case of
some collision (unless that is handled very well indeed) but if they
choose a number then together with the 'wp' it will be unique.
wp12345_ would be okay would it not ? Just as wpmypet_ would be.

P.