[wp-hackers] Re: Polling

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Fri Jun 24 07:19:36 GMT 2005

Quoting David House <dmhouse at gmail.com>:

> On 6/23/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> I wanted to bring this up before, but held back. Would releasing parallel,
>> distinct, yet related editions of WordPress be a possibility? Downloading a
>> light-weight version of WordPress and hacking it is analogous to
>> building Linux
>> from scratch, rather than getting comprehensive distributions like Fedora,
>> Mandrake or SuSE. At its core, all is the same.
>
> This would likely be a support nightmare. If you do want a lightweight
> version of WordPress, see LightPress.

That's what I'd imagined (support nightmare) and that's why I held back. I can
think of a few exceptions where the nature of software is different.
Noah Lite,
for example, is a Palm English-English dictionary which ships as 3 different
editions with varying database sizes. Since no alteration in code is involved,
very little can go wrong, and _yet_ there's a choice.

Regarding Matt's comment, he was quite right. The O/S analogy is poor
because of
the big difference in scale.

Roy

--