[wp-hackers] WordPress stable branch

Mark Rosenstand mark at ossholes.org
Thu Jun 23 23:52:46 GMT 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 23:37, Scott Merrill wrote:
> Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> > With everything changing for 1.6, I *really* feel a need for a seperate
> > stable branch. WordPress is by its interpreted nature a true dream to
> > keep updated through SVN; but when the DB tables starts changing it
> > really isn't that much fun any more.
> >
> > What are the reasons for not branching, if any?
>
> Because the 1.5.1.2 tag exists, and works:
>   svn co http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/1.5.1.2
>
> That's your stable version.

But aren't tags permanent? What happens when the next security vulnerability
gets discovered in 1.5.x (e.g. 1.5.1.3)? My point being that it is easier to
track a branch than to follow the tagging, fetch new tags, replace them, etc.

(And yes, in general I'm against running multiple branches with projects of
WordPress' size, but when trunk hits unusable states like this, it really is
a better solution IMHO)

--
  .-.    Mark Rosenstand        (-.)
  oo|                           cc )