[wp-hackers] WordPress stable branch

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Thu Jun 23 21:43:31 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:

>Mark Rosenstand wrote:
>

>>With everything changing for 1.6, I *really* feel a need for a seperate stable
>>branch. WordPress is by its interpreted nature a true dream to keep updated
>>through SVN; but when the DB tables starts changing it really isn't that much
>>fun any more.
>>
>>What are the reasons for not branching, if any?
>>

>Because the 1.5.1.2 tag exists, and works:
>  svn co http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/1.5.1.2
>
>That's your stable version.

If you do an svn co of a tag, eg 1.5.1.2
And then there's another tag, eg 1.5.1.3

You can't get the letter by doing an svn up on a checkout of the former.

If there was a stable branch, eg /branch/1.5.1.x

You check it out and do svn up on that branch to get the latest tag.

That said, changing development methodology just for easy updating for
advanced users isn't the best of ideas. If WP is not branching at all
and there will be no more updates in the 1.5.1.x line, making a branch
for it won't be of any use.