[wp-hackers] Re: Polling

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Jun 23 18:04:19 GMT 2005

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> PHP-Nuke incorporates that functionality, so it can be imported from there.
> PHP-Nuke already inherits a lot of functionality from phpBB, which
> probably can
> fit into WordPress to create a community among site subscribers
> (important in
> blogs/sites that focus on a niche).

I think we need something a little more lightweight and flexible than
PHP-Nuke, ideally something that fits in with our current user system.

> Threading of comments is also a key feature, which will contribute
> enormously,
> especially to the WordPress support forums. Have you tried keeping track of
> long support threads? It is too linear and could definitely benefit from
> this
> extension.

I think threading vs. non-threading is something reasonable and smart
people can disagree on. Blogging is linear too, but works alright. IMO
threading encourages off-topic branches of discussion which are not
conducive to support, and support is the SOLE aim of the forums.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com