WordPress Openness (was Re: [wp-hackers] UI development for 1.6)

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Jun 23 17:27:40 GMT 2005

Mike Little wrote:
> But there is a middle ground. A heads-up before something major is changed. Just
> the chance for someone else to say, "hold on, have you thought about
> X?", or "you
> should take a look at Y, it may be a better starting point."

(I think this is the core of what you're getting at.) This could always
be more feedback, but I would say it is done more than you give credit
for. The results are not usually promising. Every week in the IRC
meetups I've outlined projects outside of core WP that are too much for
me to handle right now and look for volunteers, every week most are met
with silence. Even when I contact people directly and get them working
on something personally, 9 times out of 10 nothing comes of it. (There
are exceptions, but that is the rule.) Here's a sampling threads I've
started in the past few months:

* Let's whip WYSIWYG (asking for suggestions)
* New Wiki Tech List (asking for volunteers)
* 3 column theme (asking for suggestions)
* Start of new themes pages ("Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?")
* 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?
* New release ("Any showstoppers?")
* getSelection Workaround (still unanswered)
* Making it better (community feedback on some criticism)
* Pingback block-level awareness (request for code)
* Category project (request for code volunteers)
* XUL Hackers (request for volunteers)
* Importer updates (request for volunteers)

Of the requests about a forth turned into something finished.

I understand people have other committments. However I already spend
5-10x more time communicating than I do coding, and I feel like things
have slowed down as a result, which can be frustrating and makes me do
silly things like write responses after long plane trips and eat $3
snickers bars in my hotel room. ;)

If people want to help, my philosophy is to get out of the way and let
them. However I don't think people should propose opening things they're
not volunteering for, as I can promise that most everything you can
imagine, from wordpress.org to the source control, has had the keys
handed over several times before with nothing to show for it. I'll do it
again because I'm an eternal optimist, but please be serious if you're
asking for it.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com