WordPress Openness (was Re: [wp-hackers] UI development for 1.6)

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Thu Jun 23 13:20:17 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Adding lanes to a highway doesn't make traffic any faster, and having
> everybody and their brother mucking around directly with the core
> would not make development any faster. (This is a separate issue from
> having modules or sections that people take ownership for, which we
> need to do more of.)

Good thinking, Matt---more delegation would solve a lot of the
brick-wall-of-silence type issues people are coming up against.

I think a great example of what should be done is what the Mozilla
project does. They have official core meetings and publish the minutes,
mozillazine collects status reports from plugin authors, their
representatives are always hashing issues out on one mailinglist or
other--if you want to be 'in the know' about Mozilla, there are lots of
places to go, with many decision makers always hanging on IRC. In fact,
there's so much that most people would be fed up by the amount of
information available long before they've finished reading the week's
worth of info.

With wordpress, we have the svn log and 'scour everywhere for statements
by matt'.

(Of course, they don't have the magnificent codex + forum resources that
WP does.)

(Note also that I don't mean to suggest that organizing the developer
community like that is solely Matt's responsibility.)

--
http://firasd.org