[wp-hackers] Re: Sqlite

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Jun 23 10:13:11 GMT 2005

Martin Geisler wrote:

>Kimmo Suominen <kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com> writes:
>

>>AFAICT the big reason for both "local" and GMT (equivalent of
>>seconds since unix epoch) times in the database is permalink
>>support. The local time is needed to keep the permalinks from
>>changing.
>>

>That doesn't mean that one couldn't use a Unix epoch timestamp: store
>the (GMT) post date as a Unix timestamp and store a time zone offset
>along with it. Then calculate the local time based on that.
>
>Notice that this wont cost more that what is already done today where
>all timestamps are offset by the global gmt_offset setting.

Current method:  store GMT time, and local time
Your method: store GMT time, and offset to local time

Two variables either way... I don't really see an upside.

And if you were thinking that the offset would be one variable, set in
the options (as opposed to per-post), that wouldn't work.  What happens
when you change time zones?  All of a sudden that post you made at 23:36
GMT gets pushed over to the next day, and the permalink changes.  Heck,
you don't even have to change time zones... DST would do that by itself.