[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-docs] A request

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Jun 19 17:09:06 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 17:44 +0100, Podz wrote:
> Arthur Jennings wrote:
> > If alpha-do-not-use testers ask for help in the forums, shouldn't they
> > be politely but firmly direct to the proper venue?
>
> Yes, that's true, but when we have very well read blogs blathering on
> about 1.6 it does not help.
> Until the code reaches an advanced stage everyone will be directed at
> the testers list but I wrote this mail because I KNOW what will happen
> and I'd rather it did not, especially so early on - it's just asking for
> trouble.
>
> It's very simple - run whatever code you want but either be quiet about
> it or post huge great "Do Not Touch" messages as well.

Actually, I think we should talk/blather about it more. I'd like to do
something like the KDE Commit Digest, Kernel Traffic, and the old GNOME
weeklies.

http://commit-digest.org/
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/

The commit digest is a common open source practice that keeps a
community informed about what's going on with development and can serve
to pull in new developers.  And, hey, sometimes developers just like to
talk about what they are working on.  You call it blather, I call it
blogging.  What's this tool do again?

Most open source projects go out of the way to make obtaining
development versions easier.  Here we do the opposite and insist on
these attempts at social engineering.  It's not all about the forums.
There's more to the ecology than that.

Regardless, right now the code is available only through subversion.
That's sufficiently inaccessible to dissuade most people.

Ryan