[wp-hackers] Let's whip WYSIWYG

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jun 13 23:13:57 GMT 2005

Le 13 juin 2005, à 17:53, Bruce Alderson a écrit :

>> The first step is deciding on a WYSIWYG editor, since that's the
>> foundation we're going to have to work with for spelling and auto-
>> save. I've started a list of the open source ones I could find here:
>
> I like the idea of a rich editor, but what about support for automatic
> markup formats like Markdown (etc.)?  Storing posts as plain text is a
> good thing, IMO.

If someone want to discuss alternate syntaxes, count me in.

Speaking of Markdown, there is a new version of the plugin that
implements what I've discussed before and it gets things *almost*
perfectly right. But what should be a simple 'add_filter' function call
is taking 53 lines of code to work around the issues I pointed out
before. And I have the feeling the next WordPress version will break it
one way or another -- some workarounds are rather fragile and dependent
on other filters being where they are now. I think this illustrate
quite well the problem.

In case you are interested, the plugin is here:
<http://www.michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/>

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/