[wp-hackers] Comment rating - a feature request

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Jul 25 14:10:58 GMT 2005

Quoting Doug Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> I have always imagined that CmdrTaco nicked it from somewhere else
>> and hacked
>> some bits of it...
>>

> A distinct possibility, but IIRC Slashcode has been in existence for
> longer than PHP Nuke.  It could be that PHP Nuke has cribbed code from
> Slash. *shrug*

from [ http://cmdrtaco.net/rob.shtml ]:

"Towards the end of The College Experience I began putting together all my
skills and assembled a website I obnoxiously named Slashdot, and the rest is
internet history! I combined my love of Linux and Technology with my abilities
as a webmaster to produce a site that exploded in popularity and to this day
(as I write this, 6 and a half years later) is one of the largest and most
influential sites on the net."

The earliest archive goes back to December 1997:

http://web.archive.org/web/19971221012817/http://slashdot.org/

I guess you are possibly right then.

>> Have you seen the obscene amount of overlap between PHP-Nuke and
>> Slashdot? They
>> even use the same language with the same typos and the same bugs.
>> The PHP-Nuke
>> team named one of their base themes after Slashdot.
>>

> See above.  Could be the reverse of what you're proposing.
>

>> I dared *smile*. I happily run two sites on it.
>>

> You're a better man than I.  Every single one of my [Post|PHP]Nuke
> experiences has been marred with difficult upgrades, finnicky templates,
> a distinct lack of documentation and long-way-round-the-horn solutions
> to problems that ought to be easy.
>
> I've been replacing our intranet *Nuke solutions with WP as the CMS.  My
> content creators and communications dept. couldn't be happier.
>
> For the heavier-weight stuff, I've been pondering Mamboserver.

Mambo drives our LUG's Web site. My colleague who runs it seems satisfied with
it, although he has a great deal of respect to WordPress, which I recommended
to him all along. He wanted a CMS/announcement platform rather than a blogging
package. WordPress is called a "publishing platform", but is best
renowned as a
"blog thingie".

Roy

--