[wp-hackers] Pinging pingomatic.com making posting SLOOOW

Chris Lott chris.lott at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 20:45:34 GMT 2005

I have a number of WP 1.5.1.3 sites running on Linux (Mandrake 10).
All of these sites are exhibiting a similar problem: when pinging
pingomatic.com (the only site I am pinging), post times (measured from
pressing the publish button to returning control to the user) are
60-90 seconds. If I remove pingomatic.com from the ping list, leaving
nothing in the box, post times are 2-5 seconds.

I have already turned off "Attempt to notify any Weblogs linked to
from the article (slows down posting.)" This behavior occurs even with
2-10 word posts that have no links in them at all.

There is one public blog that has this behavior:
http://locus.dist-ed.uaf.edu/cde/blog/

But about 10 more private ones that exhibit the same symptoms.

The wordpress.org discussion boards indicate it can't be a firewall
problem since it uses port 80. No one appears to have further
suggestions. How can I further troubleshoot this?

Chris Lott