[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 15:18:49 GMT 2005

I don't have time in the next week, but after that I'm happy to assist in
formatting & 'dumbing down' if others get content together.

I agree - a discussion of things like:
- posts per page (lower is better)
- content on the page (images mainly)
- don't forget the sidebar (generating certain elements could be heavy)
- issues with high-computation plugins (some archive plugins, some of the
match-and-replace plugins, etc.)
- plugins that enable their own internal caching (some good, like CG-Amazon
or CG-FeedRead not re-grabbing stuff every pageload, versus some potentially
'not good', like caching gravatars locally means you take on graphics
- staticizing/meta-caching plugins (wp-cache for current gen,
staticize-reloaded for older wp)
... is a good start.

Then there's technical discussions of things like:
- apache, mysql configuration for optimal performance, based on maybe two
'types' of sites?
- mysql query caching details, implementation approach
- if you own your machine, add more RAM. ;)
- lighttpd, thttpd, in some cases just serving images, in some cases
replacing apache
... etc.

-d