[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:23:15 GMT 2005

On 12/07/05, Jason A. Hoffman <jason at textdrive.com> wrote:

> Not to inject myself here, but why do people slap up a wordpress site
> (or anything for that matter) on a little server, and then expect a
> piece of software to just scale up automatically?
>
> What kind of hardware is it on? What web server? What mysql? What ...?
>
> - Jason

Because they don't understand.
They don't understand that it matters what hardware you have. They
don't understand that it matters how that hardware is configured. They
don't understand that software has to be configured/tuned
appropriately for both the content and the load. That's what separates
the experts from the knowledgeable amateurs.

Lastly, I don't expect any amateur throwing up a site even one like
this would expect 11 million page views. Thousands, yes. They may,
given the nature of the subject, even predict hundreds of thousands of
hits, but I wouldn't expect tens of millions.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/journalized/