[wp-hackers] User Capabilities

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Jul 11 00:12:43 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 19:58 -0400, Owen Winkler wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
> >* Registered (Powerless, might be able to create drafts)
> >* Writer/Author (Can write and publish posts)
> >* Editor (Can edit other people's posts)
> >* Administrator (Root)
> >

> I think there needs to be two Author roles, one who can publish his own
> posts and one who can't.  Skippy's list (+Contributor) suits me better.

I don't mind either way.  I know some folks will holler if we don't
support this, and don't feel strongly enough to argue about it.  I'll
leave that to Matt if he feels strongly. :-)

> Which role has control of pages?

I think an Editor can have that.  If someone wants to have two levels of
editors, a plugin is in order.

> How will these roles be affected by the 1.5 setting for allowing
> newly-/self-registered users to publish/create drafts?  It seems like it
> would be a good idea instead to use a dropdown to set the default role
> for a newly-/self-registered user, and that role would either have the
> capability to create and/or publish posts or not.
>
> The trick is that unless there is at least a basic role-editing
> interface, there is no way to emulate the "Newly registered members"
> setting in Options | Writing.  That radio group - in parlance of the new
> capabilities stuff - changes the capabilities of the level 0 user, which
> technically doesn't exist any more.  The group could be changed to
> grant/revoke 'edit_posts' and 'publish_posts' on the role selected for
> new registrations, but somehow that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Actually, after some bugfixing done in 1.5.1, that setting determines
whether new users are given level 0 or 1.  So, we'll just give them
"Registered" or "Contributor" roles instead (assuming we do the
"Contributor" role).  Backward compatibility would be assisted by a
"Contributor" role that maps to level 1.

Ryan