[wp-hackers] User Capabilities

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Jul 10 22:34:57 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 15:26 -0700, Matthew Mullenweg wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
> > While we're working out the design and implementation details of the
> > role/capability system, let's talk about roles.  Currently, we are using
> > Textpattern's role definitions.
> >
> > http://textpattern.org/tips/280/editing-user-priveleges
>
> I think TP goes a bit overboard, we should try to simplify our default
> roles to as few as possible and leave more complex things to plugins.
> When you look at the current system, we basically only have a few
> functional things even though the levels are 0-10:
>
> * Registered
> * Ability to post
> * Administrator
>
> Or to break it down differently, people who leave comments, people who
> post entries, and people who administer everything (including templates).

Yeah, those three plus an editor would cover most of what people usually
want.  Arguably, the editor could be left to plugin territory.

* Registered (Powerless, might be able to create drafts)
* Writer/Author (Can write and publish posts)
* Editor (Can edit other people's posts)
* Administrator (Root)

Ryan