[wp-hackers] Overriding get_posts() behaviour

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Tue Jul 5 12:59:46 GMT 2005

Hi Bill,

To be very frank I'd hardly expect any of the results we'll get in php will
be close to the things you can get from natural language seach spin offs
such as Delphes. Even with Nutche -- Lucene -- or one of MSN, Yahoo, Ask,
Vivimo or Google around.

A few comments:

#1 may break the very index. I think a more reasonable approache is some
kind of node_meta field. Best I know, a match against (node_name,
node_content) with meta in node_content is not the same as a match against
(node_name, node_meta, node_content).

#2 Fetching beans on a bean search as in a like statement is quite simple:
change the regex to \b\w*bean\w*\b rather than \bbean\b. Then again, if the
searcher wants queries on a query search, he won't get the expected result,
so I think a soundex or a similar approach is a more reasonable option.
Alternatively, there are stemming librairies, but it is top-down and as
Christian points out it is language dependant.

#3 breaks three relevance criterias. The first is the match against sql
statement. The second is whether all terms are present, and the last is
whether they are in the same order.

#4 makes good sense, and it even makes sense to search on it directly and to
give it a high score I think. Then again, it is language dependant, like
stemming. Also, you've to be wary that metaphone("this is a test") !=
metaphone("this") . metaphone("is") . metaphone("a") . metaphone("test").

As a last remark, my original intent was not to serve the resulting spew
directly. Rather, it was to use it as a seed for a second query that
conducts a structural analysis of the node graph. I've yet to start working
on that part. :)

--
Denis de Bernardy
http://www.semiologic.com