[wp-hackers] REQUEST_URI fix in wp-settings.php doesn't work

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:03:02 GMT 2005

On 02/07/05, David Chait <davebytes at comcast.net> wrote:

> I saw Mike just changed the test to empty().  But, I'm not sure if that's
> valid or not... I'm trying to remember an early conversation with Matt or
> someone when we originally fixed up that test, and I'm trying to recall if
> there was a reason isset was used (i.e., the field could validly be empty?).
>  Anyway, if anyone recalls why !isset() was used instead of empty() in the
> first place, feel free to comment.  Otherwise, have a happy 4th for those of
> you in the US. ;)
>
> -d

I don't think the field can validly be empty on a system that is
supposed to ppoulate it. I believe the minimum request URI (in the
http scheme) is by convention a single slash '/'. I know apache goes
to a lot of trouble to insert it if you don't provide it.

If that is not the case, I think that (again, for the http scheme) a
single slash is an equivalent to the empty path.

And if that is not the case we have to consider coding around an
(other) IIS problem.

See also RFC 3986 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3986.html

Mike
--