[wp-hackers] The Dashboard Needs Attention

Michael Heilemann heilemann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 12:02:27 GMT 2005

Hey all,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heilemann/79307921/

I never spend time in the WP dashboard. There's a number of reasons for
this, but first and foremost, as you can see on the flickr image above, I'm
wondering why thousands of users have to participate in Mike's birthday
greetings to Kim, Chloe and Kate. Or why, however interesting it may be, the
same thousands of users are treated to Matt's story of an airport
evacuation.

The dashboard is a great idea, but it's not quite as useful as it ought to
be. Fair enough, we're doing some purely aesthetic changes for Shuttle, and
that will if nothing else make it more accessible. But that won't help it
aggregating the kittens mittens (!?) from the various blogs it's subscribed
to.

WordPress has feeds for categories, so why is the dashboard subscribed to
everything, instead of only wordpress or (even better) blogging-related
stuff?

Ultimately, I would like to see a digg-like aggregator service, which would
have WordPress users 'digg' (well 'press' I guess) the news for everyone
else. Or at the very least an options panel for turning off selected feeds.

--
Aloha,
Michael Heilemann