[wp-hackers] When a ping is sent ?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Dec 17 15:14:56 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 17 Dec 2005 10:02:32 GMT, [Podz] wrote : \_____

> This is coming up a few times and we seem to not have a definitive
> answer. Would someone mind ?
>
> On publish, we know a ping is sent.
> Save ?
> Save and Continue ?
> Editing a published post ?
> Future publish (without the plugin) sends on Publish ?
>
> I know what I think but there are contradictions going around.
> Or if you could just say when and only when a ping is sent that would be
> great. Thanks :)
>
> P.

It  has been possible to judge that based on trackbacks. In the list under
"Already  pinged:", nothing will appear until an item is published. In the
past,  whenever I added a trackback URL after publication, it was appended
to  the list, which implies pinging recurred. What I am not too sure about
are  scenarios  where an item is republished within less than  5  minutes.
Putting  aside the fact that Ping-o-Matic has been down today/late yester-
day,  it  generally  disallows frequent pinging. "Slow down,  Cowboy",  it
days. *smirk*

Hope it contributes,

Roy